View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #72
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Mook View Post
You might want to double check your specific traffic codes. In many places, cutting across private property to avoid a traffic control device can result in a ticket for failing to obey a traffic control device = points and fine.

This observation comes from personal experience - I had a route where I was traveling West and needed to transition to a Southbound road. To access this road required a right turn North, then a left turn-around lane to go South. I took to proceeding West through the traffic light, then made a left turn into a parking lot, circling around the building that the parking lot serviced and making a right turn onto the southbound lane. Great plan until I, (along with several others) was ticketed for failing to obey a traffic control device - even though I had actually obeyed and ridden legally through the traffic light I was accused of disobeying.

The judge didn't want to listen to why I used private property in my travel route or that the traffic device I was accused of disobeying was actually in my rear-view mirrors after proceeding through it while the light was green, and offered to find me guilty of the original charge - 3 points and $125.00 fine, or allow me to plead guilty to 'obstructing traffic' for a no-points but $125.00 fine.

I tried to argue (with pictures) that since the parking lot in question had United States Post Office boxes situated within it, the lot by default was open to the public but it was pointed out to me (indirectly) that as a dumb-ass auto mechanic I had no training or business in trying to make any legal issues out of the situation.

A few months later the entrance to the parking lot was posted to indicate 'No Left Turn' by those traveling West-bound.

Just be careful.

Personal experience! HA!

One, if not THEE 1st time out on my bike I got rear ended, and have the pics to prove it! The asshat then proceeds to the parking lot behind AppleBees where I block him in waiting for the cops, but get this...

They say b/c he was on PRIVATE PROPERTY and didnt witness it, it's a civil problem and they could only document what he said I did to him for a later CIVIL court date...

The guy was on a phone and almost side swiped me when he realized he was at or passing his turn, I laid on the horn b/c I wanted the person he was on the phone to hear, then he jerks the wheel 3x like he's coming and I stand my ground. I get in front and stop and he wedges my wheel under his bumper.

I get off to get pics and stand behind him to block him. I get pics of his plate and he backs into me. I wish to god I'da broke his back glass out b/c I tried so ther cops would see he intentionally backed into me...

He backs up, goes around my bike (thank god, cause I'da killed him) and pulls onto PRIVATE PROPERTY behind Applebees and I call 911 for a hit and run...

Cops do: Nothing!

The "law"? Don't count on them helping you when YOU need it, but you/we can say "illegal" when you watch a crotch rocket pass a truck going 30 then it try to kill the motorcyclist... If it makes you fell any better...