View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #736
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,357
A lot of enthusiasm, I hope it bears fruit.

It's odd to be announcing a new bike nearly 2 months after the peak spring and summer sales period. My local dealership has no idea when it is due in so given the short riding season here, if it isn't out by next week (beginning of July) it may as well wait until next season because very few will be buying a bike come July. While Canada certainly isn't Suzuki's largest market if you couple it with the northern USA you're looking at a large market where the season is 50% over. The lower USA, it's irrelevant in comparison when the bike is released.

Couple this with this being a niche market bike, not a halo model like a GSXR1000 and it is even more odd.

Hopefully this bike is worth the fan fervour but TBH I'm wondering if people are expecting much more in the way of change, beyond the move to 800 cc. Given the economy, the niche market of adventure riding and Suzuki's relative lack of interest in the adventure class I'm guessing mild upgrades on known problem areas and likely a slightly more off road oriented package to compete with the new 800s. But I wonder if Suzuki is going to invest significantly in facing off against KTM or BMW. They didn't need to do much to the build something successful the first go around; and the customers that want the Vstrom didn't necessarily want the 12GS and vice versa. Kawasaki didn't have to do much to make the KLR modern and competitive again, I don't think Suzuki needs to make much of a leap either.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote