View Single Post
Old 06-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #41
theKite
Ulyssean

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcc View Post
I Have a job in Fort St. John B.C. for the time being and I have been ripping around here checking out some new country.It has been pissing out lately and the backroads turned to gumbo.My rear belt snapped when the pulleys got pluged with mud.this gumbo fills the fenders and my tires looked like slicks.My swingarm and front forks were caked as well.Interesting mud,it turns to a concrete like hardness when dry.I had an extra belt with me.It was a good wake up call but did piss me off 'cause it was getting dark as the sunset was starting to happen.Anyway I got myself going and will be converting to a chain when I get a chance.I'll try to post some pictures of my breakdown adventure when I get a chance.
Check Peter and Kay Forwood's website at forwood-mytrip.shtml. They are the couple who have visited every country in the world on their '94 ElectraGlide Classic, over about 550 000km They seem to get about 50 000km out of a belt.
But they run the belt very slack, to the point where it may actually slip when clogged with mud or sand. There is also an interesting observation onremoving the belt guard!
May not be a good idea, it seems. Might be a better idea the toally enclose it sa BMW have (nearly) done.
Rob
theKite is offline   Reply With Quote