View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #101
Gaston Gagne OP
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,872
I recently got out for a semi big three day trip from Wilmington, DE to White Haven, PA.

Wilmington- pretty nice garage, eh?

When I woke up at 4:45, the moon was out, but there were thunderstorms all around the house as I was getting ready to go. I was soaked before I left the neighborhood, but that was the only bad rain I hit the whole trip. By Avondale, PA, I was clear of any real traffic, and the weather started to improve.

Lancaster County, PA

Even as early as Lancaster Country, I was hitting some fun roads.

Berks County

When I found this, I also figured out that I was off course.

The Berks/Schuylkill County line on PA 501.

When I got to Pine Grove, I picked up PA 125. This road is excellent beginning to end.

Getting on toward Shamokin and PA 61, the scenery changes to coal mining.

Shikellamy State Park in Sunbury, PA overlooks the confluence of the Susquehanna and the West Branch of the Susquehanna Rivers.

It was here that I ate my prodigious sandwich that I had carried from Delaware. I also met a fellow on a DR 650 who had found a suicide victim in the park the day before. He seemed a bit freaked out by the whole thing.

From Shikellamy, I rode up to Mifflinburg and gassed up and headed out to Laurelton, which is another one of my indicators of correct living.

First things first: I headed out to find some camping at Poe Valley or Poe Paddy State Park, so I can lose the luggage.

I know a shortcut to the parks.

I was a little late for the peak of the mountain laurels, but they were still in pretty good shape.