View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM   #117
henrymartin
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
The price of the bike and the mileage are irrelevant; a 10 year old Chinese pit bike bought for $200 should not have this kind of fork issue. It is avoidable and completely unacceptable.

It is also undoubtedly a mistake.

Because I can assure you as an engineer, that no one at BMW or anywhere else, knowingly designs a vehicle component which will fail in such a way.

No one set out to "pad their pocket" at your expense.

It has been said that an engineer is someone who can make for one dollar what any fool can make for two dollars.

Very very occasionally we stuff up; we introduce some unforeseen failure mode.

This is what vehicle recalls are for.

No one wants recalls, but we want a world that doesn't do recalls when necessary even less.

There's been lots of speculation here about the cause of your failure and quite a bit of blame flinging, but now its got a NHSTA number, you can be assured that if there is an underlying systematic fault, it will eventually result in a recall and replacement of suspect parts.

Rather than swearing off of BMWs generally because of your experience, perhaps you should look at the recall rates of the available vehicle manufacturers and swear off of those who have the highest rates?

Or perhaps consider how many BMW forks have broken unexpectedly in the manner that yours has versus how many have been mashed or otherwise run down by errant car drivers, and recognise that your own riding and the drivers around you are far greater sources of danger than this very rare catastrophic failure.

I can understand a reluctance to ride on the same design of fork before we've reached an understanding of why yours failed, but not an outright rejection of all products from one of the world's better vehicle manufacturers.
Yup, my 09 G650GS has been driven long, driven hard, hit potholes, ruts, roots, rocks....the only thing that went bad with the bike was the brake fluid, but then again, i wouldn't expect it to last with as many water crossings as I did. BTW, the bike didn't even cough when I had water coming over the handlebars, it did not complain on a 4 day, 2400 mil trip, It didn't mind getting winched from the mudhole I stuck in...
I went down from a 1200 bike to this little 650 and I'm very happy with it.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote