View Single Post
Old 06-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #133
gsyogi
Seeker

Oddometer: 19
Here is the copy of the text that I sent to BMW-USA along with their wholly inadequate response (IMHO):

Dear BMW USA,

I am a returning rider and recently (this May) purchased two new 2011 BMW motorcycles: 1) G 650 GS and 2) R 1200 GS. While researching some modifications for improved lighting I discovered an apparent issue with the Showa forks on the G/F series bikes: see, 1) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...errerid=187786 and 2) http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...errerid=187786 . While every motorcyclist faces a multitude of risks (and hopefully, manages them appropriately), a catastrophic front fork failure should never be one them! I am a father, a husband, a professional, and simply want to know if there is ANY reason I should be concerned about the casting/safety of the front forks installed on my G 650 GS? I will not be riding that bike until I hear back from someone at the appropriate level with BMW-USA who can give me such assurances.

My Best,

BMW's response:

Thank you for contacting BMW Motorrad USA regarding your G 650 GS. We always enjoy hearing from our riders.

The service team at your local BMW Motorrad dealer has the expertise to provide you with detailed technical support to fully address your inquiry. A list of our authorized BMW Motorrad dealers can be found on our website: www.bmwmotorcycles.com, under the "Find a dealer" link.

If you would reply with the vehicle identification number, (VIN), we can certainly check the status of any recalls on your bike. We look forward to your reply.

For any non-technical inquiries, you can contact the Customer Relations and Services Department at 1-800-831-1117, Monday through Friday from 9:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., Eastern Standard Time.

Regards,

Jackie Miller
BMW Motorrad USA

-----

My new '11 G 650 GS is approaching 600 miles and I am scheduled to drive it to the dealership (in traffic) this Saturday for the initial service (absolutely no issues to date during the run in period)!?! I really like the single but have not moved it out of the garage since discovering this post/issue. I am VERY concerned about this issue and would like some advice on what to do with the bike. As my intention is to keep the bike, I am most interested in what replacement shocks are available that would not void my BMW warranty (along with an idea of what this will cost to have the dealer "upgrade" the forks). Am I opening exposing myself to a new set off potential issues by replacing the forks? Heal quickly antiquewidow and thanks in advance for any advice that this community can offer me!
gsyogi is offline   Reply With Quote