View Single Post
Old 07-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #66
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abenteuerfahrer View Post

When Sam mapped TN for the TAT it was mostly all gravel. In the last 7-10 years TN has spent a lot of tax dollars paving every road in the state thus many riders not taking TN too much for fear of wearing out their knobbies or just wanting to hit gravel right away. I don’t have Sam’s most recent newer updated maps of TN and understand that he’s back in finding/mapping gravely roads again for Tennessee.
The first 20 miles onto the TAT…., Tennessee indeed lived up to its reputation of being mostly paved and would best be served as a shake-down cruise for the rest of the TAT. By the end of the State your gear is probably better sorted, your bike might feel being in synch, your mind is distant from the day to day cares of the world and you are might feel ready for some serious Mississippi and Arkansas dirt?

BUT…Oh, Lordy.. Oh, Lord…. BUT…

It is not to be…

It’s the “solo” thing that is affecting me personally. Yes, it could also be loneliness, with no one to share the scenery, eating, camping, Moteling, and trip planning.

I sincerely, humbly apologize for getting you excited to no avail. I hope to again post another ride report someday but definitely un-solo!

Disappointing news, indeed, but reasonable for you. I'm sure that Sharon (or some other riders) would have lifted your spirits, but it was not meant to be. A famous daytime television host said "You have to listen to the whispers before they advance into full-blown ramming you head through a brick wall". The whispers tell us we need to reassess our situation. Good for you for paying attention!! Not everyone does. Unfortunately.

I'm looking forward to your next trip as much as any other you've ridden. Maybe it will include a stopover in the PNW?

Safe travels, buddy! You're one of the good ones!!

Paul