View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #45
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyver View Post
Every man can do as he wants with his own toys; so I'm not criticizing....but, I'm trying to figure out why someone would want to spend 12 or 13 grand on a brand new high performance riding machine and then take it out to thrash it?
That is a perfectly logical observation, I see your point and normally I am a very logical person. Except when it comes to motorbikes .

For me, the decission came down to the following factors:

1) I really enjoy riding big, powerful dirt bikes on winding dirt roads and trails. Some people drink, others smoke cigarettes and me, I like to ride bikes. I am in the really fortunate position to be able to afford both an adventure bike and a DRZ for the trickier stuff.

2) Australia is a big country with a lot to see. I have ridden the local area extensively over the last 15 - 20 years and while I still love exploring on my DRZ, there is always a part of me that wants to see something different. On a big comfy dual sport you can set out in the morning, do 600km+ days of mixed dirt, trails and roads and still feel good at the end of it. That's not to say you can't do it on a dirt bike, you can, it just takes more time and resolve. With a young family, who I love spending time with, I don't have the time and after riding long distances on more traditional dirt bikes for several years, I have lost the resolve (well most of it anyway).

3) Riding a big bike in the dirt is a different kind of experience. You tend to slow down a little, see the country side more and focus on getting it right rather than going fast. Dirt roads and less technical trails become interesting rather than just links to the good stuff.

4) I don't really see what I am doing with the Tiger as thrashing it. Yes, it is going to get dirty and probably a few scratches but it isn't like I am abusing the bike or throwing it at impossible hill climbs where it is likely to get thrown away. The idea of this thread is to show how I go about setting the bike up so that it works well in these conditions. I tend to maintain my bikes really well and as a result they usually hold their value.

5) Long term ownership. If you look at one of the high performance dirt bikes that sell for say $13k here in Australia and compare it the to Tiger at $16k, I would say it compares quite well. Yes, the suspension may be of a lower spec but it works well for the purpose and the bike should be capable of doing over 100,000kms with a bit of luck. Compare that to 5,000 - 10,000km rebuild intervals on a high performance thumper and the value equation starts to shift in my opinion

Burren Rider screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 11:03 PM
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote