View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 PM   #38364
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
[Indiana Jones] It ain't the years, it's the mileage [/Indiana Jones]

Even when I was younger I never really rode with any discipline or training, just jumped on in total ignorance and rode...never had the money or connections to learn offroad by anyone that knew what they were doing, so I never even tried anything that required trials skills, and my bike was utterly inappropriate for it. I paid for that naivete too, 25 years later I still have lingering shoulder stingers and knee issues from wrecking when I was a teenager.

From what I saw, most of that stuff was well above even the hardened riders abilities and I know I'd probably have broken either my bike or my freshly repaired lower back. I've seen you ride and I doubt you'd been killed or mamed on the 1st 2 sections or the bunny trail.

But I was the same way when I started riding, jumped in alone on a '79 XL125. 2 years later and 3 days after I had my own insurance, I entered the Bear Creek 100 and the only way I got a trophy was because I didn't give up and attrition moved me up the leader board.

After that it has been all downhill wasting dollar after dollar wearing out bikes. I did learn two things that people told me years ago, slow down to go fast (or practice it slow before trying it fast) and practice the most what you suck at the most. The last one ended up being the most fun I had over the years.

I took a year off from racing in '89 when I unloaded my 250EXC and FT500 and bought my Transalp the morning of my ACL replacement. I watched as many videos as I could during that time from guys like Bailey, Glover and others. After I was healed up I borrowed a bike and without any practice, entered a scamble and started on the back row. I kept reminding myself the video techniques and I actually rid myself of many bad habits. (many, not all ) In a race where I'd normally struggled to go fast, always out of control and totally exausted, I eased my way through the pack to a 2nd place finish and wasn't even remotely as tired. The next evening, I bought a new (used) 250 from Dirt Works.

I still enjoy attempting the hard way around or over obstacles, more to make sure I still can when the time arises!!

Unless their frail and weak, people are never too old to learn (not just riding), most people are just too damn stubborn. Many of my friends over the years only wanted to ride and never take time to practice anything. One dumped litterally thousands into a bike that he couldn't ride. Every week, last in the C class so he'd try to make it faster with cash. He quit to go drag racing, a sport where money rules!

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote