View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #7
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,398
The next day my friends and I parted way. They went to the Little Sturgis Rally in Kentucky. I decided to head up the Mississippi to see the mill I missed yesterday, a few waypoints that I have stored in my GPS and anything else I come across.

My first stop was in the little town of Old Appleton where there is an old bridge, over Apple Creek, build in 1879, It is now part of the city park.

Next I came across "Schnurbusch Karst Window". A Karst is a geologic feature where bedrock is resolved leaving a void (cave). The Schnurbusch Karst Window is a collapsed cave exposing and underground stream. It is on the grounds of St. Joseph Catholic Church in the village of Apple Creek originally called Schnurbusch.

From here I went east towards the Mississippi and stumbled upon upon Altenburg, MO one of 7 communities in the area settled by 750 Saxons in 1839. Saxony is an area of Germany south of Berlin. They came to Missouri for religious freedom. The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod traces it origin to Altenburg. Their first Concordia Seminary is a log cabin preserved along main street. It was built the same year the Saxons settled in MO:

I went further east to another Saxon settlement on the Mississippi River called Wittenberg. There was not much left of Wittenberg but a boat landing on the Mississippi and it was flooded. As you can see it was recently higher.

I went a little south to Tower Rock. It was a very cool road to the rock.

Tower Rock is a unique formation in the Mississippi River. Passing Tower Rock for Mississippi River Boatman is a cause for celebration similar to crossing the equator for seaman.

When the water is low you can walk to the rock. In high water like it is in the picture, extremely dangerous whirlpools are created below the Rock that tugboats captains avoid.

A few facts about the Rock:

In 1673 explorers Marquette and Joliet pass the rock in a canoe. Local "savages" warned them that a "demon that devours travelers" was in the water.

In 1803 Louis and Clark passed the rock. Lewis reported the rivermen passing the rock had to either supply spirits to be drunk or be dunked in the river.

General Grant passed by the rock numerous times while he confronted Confederates during the War of Northern Aggression. He must have had some affection for Tower Rock because when he was president in 1871 it came to his attention that the Corp of Engineers were going to blast it out of the river to improve navigation he issued a presidential decree saving Tower Rock for public use.

After leaving Tower Rock I headed upriver looking for McClannahan Mill.

To be continued.......

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 01:19 PM
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote