View Single Post
Old 07-18-2011, 10:00 PM   #34
HayDuchessLives
Loquita

Oddometer: 1,125
Chronological modesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
Lived there '57 (when I was 18 & fresh out of high school) to '60. Still think of it as my hometown.
Hey Alcan Rider,

You shouldn't be so modest with your chronological seniority (advanced geezerhood). I think it was more like '27 when you were 18 and fresh out of high school.

I'm adding a few photos to show off some of Alaska's stunning scenery.

Atigun Pass - Dalton Highway - Memorial Day Weekend 2010. One of these KLRs wouldn't start so I helped push start it, luckily only having to exert myself enough to push it downhill.

Chandalar Shelf area - Dalton Highway - Memorial Day Weekend 2010. The haze in the background is from a massive wildfire. To me this photo epitomizes why we love ADVenture riding!

Denali (Mt. McKinley) from the south side - Petersville Road - late September 2010.

Mt. Foraker (left) and Denali (right) - from the south side - Petersville Road - late September 2010.

Lookie here - if you visit Alaska at the appropriate time - you can take advantage of a great sale: Ladies Pants 1/2 off at Alaska Leather! (I have absolutely no recollection of who posed for this photo....)

Denali - a view from the north side - outside of Cantwell - Sept. 2008. This was the first year I started riding and I spent four days (solo) riding, camping and hiking on the Denali Highway. I loved it!!! I traverse the Denali Highway every fall as the views of the Alaska Range (and Hayes Range) are incomparable, especially in the fall.

Another view of some of the fantastic fall foliage visible along the Denali Highway, which basically parallels the southern side of the Alaska Range (and Hayes Range). Now my DR has lots more "farkles."

Alaska is awesome in the winter as well. In this photo I'm saying "Welcome to my big back yard - the Chugach Mountains!" My friends and I ski and hike up passes and ski and/or hike down, depending on the gear we have on and the snow depth.

This photo was taken near the top of Eklutna Peak, also in the Chugach Mountains, right outside of Anchorage. I glissaded (slid) down this really steep slope and the "pucker factor" was sure in effect!

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll post more later. Come on up and ride, or ski or hike, with us!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808795
HayDuchessLives is offline   Reply With Quote