View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,124
From Tower Rock I headed upstream trying to stay as close to the Mississippi River as I could. From a distance I could see a large bridge but I knew of no car or RR bridge in the area. My GPS did not show any either. When I got closer I realized it was a bridge that carried a natural gas pipeline:

This is the Grand Tower Pipeline Bridge, claimed to be the "Worlds Longest Pipeline Suspension Bridge". It is a suspension bridge built in 1955 and still carries natural gas. It supports 2 thirty inch pipes. The longest span is 2,161 feet. The "wings" are for cables to keep the pipeline from swaying horizontally.

I continued following the Mississippi River upstream. I was zig-zagging through the bluffs and hills following the river the best I could. I came across and old general store in Farrar, MO. According to the website the store has been restored and converted into a B and B.

To be continued.....

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote