View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
ajayhawkfan OP
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 3,832
I never could find McClannahan Mill but I did find some incredible roads cut through the hills and bluffs all along the river. (When I got home I checked on the coords of the mill and mine were correct. From aerial views it looks like the mill is on in private property and not visible from the road.)

I have ridden along the Mississippi River many time over the years, including the Great River Road from Memphis to Lake Itasca, the river's headwaters, and have never been disappointing with the roads. The hills and bluff along the river are all wonderful places to ride.

I also enjoy the history along the river. My next stop was Ste. Genevieve, MO, founded between 1722 and 1749. Ste. Genevieve has the greatest concentration of original French Colonial buildings in North America and is the only surviving French Colonial Village in the United States. Ste. G. is the oldest permanent European settlement in MO and one of the oldest west of the Mississippi. History of Ste. G

The Greentree Tavern (Nicholas Janis/ Janis-Zigler House) is an example of French Colonial vertical log construction. It is believe to have been the first Masonic Lodge west of the Mississippi in 1809.

Much of Ste. G. had been defined by flooding over it history:

The top red line states "Aug. 6, 1993 49.74" The sign is along the road to the ferry at the edge of downtown.

There is so much history to see in Sainte Genevieve it is worth visiting and staying a night or two as I should have. However I pushed on in the heat of the day.

While I was in town I checked to see if anyone has "tagged" the last picture from the KC area Photo Tag game. No one had so I turned my back to the river and headed towards Hodgson Mill in south central, MO hoping to grab the "tag". My plan was to stay the night at Salem, MO however the two nice motels were booked so I ended up riding to Licking, MO. Before checking in I rode to the Licking Milling Company in downtown Licking.

The Licking Mill was erected in 1882 and had the capacity of 40 barrels a day. It was a steam powered mill. The boiler is still in the the building however can't be fired. The mill is being restored and the equipment on the first floor can be run.

Licking or "The Lick" as it was originally known derived it name from a buffalo lick. Buffalo were plentiful in the area up to 1835.

To Be Continued......

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos

ajayhawkfan screwed with this post 07-21-2011 at 12:28 PM
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote