View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #178
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
Hmmmmmm ........

The main problem addressed with the 990's are the throttle and F.I. mapping / response. The "jerky" or "snatchy" throttle issue is well documented, and there's a number of ways to try and fix it. Why KTM has (or at least had) a problem with this is beyond me. The F.I. wr250 is as smooth as butter from what I hear, and my F.I. Tiger 900 and Capo are smooth as butter with no dead zone, no hesitation, and no snap into action issues.

With that said, I could not fix my issue, so I was not comfortable with taking my 990 off road. My carbed 640, hell yeah !!!!! - The 990, no.

To date, I do not know if KTM has corrected their F.I. / throttle issue.

Now, 950 owners - which that bike is carbed - do not, and have not, had any jerky throttle issues, and the throttle roll is as smooth as butter. I've even read some threads where 990 owners gut their bike and remove the F.I. and put in carbs. It's a bit of an undertaking, but for those that have done it, they've reported back that the bike is as smooth as butter, so the issue is definitely related to the F.I.

If I were you, I'd look at a 2005.5 or 2006 950adv over the 990. Even with the F.I. the mpg on the 990 wasn't better than the carbed 950. They're both in the 35mpg range. You get a big grin when you twist that throttle, so that's the compensation for the low mpg.

That's my .02 cents on the bike .......

G.
G,

Not to turn this into a 990 thread, but check out the Orange Crush thread re. the Bazzaz Fi + AFM + handle bar switch combo. It looks like it totally cures both the snatchy EFI issue and really improves the fuel mileage (from 35mpg to 45mpg!!!), which totally makes sense when you compare the stock A/F plot (SUPER rich below 4k RPM and rich through the rest of the range) vs. the Bazzaz plot (right around 13 through most of the range....right where it should be). Also, the switch gives you 2 maps to choose from on the fly so you can run a "best mpg" map and a "power" map (or whatever combo you choose).

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote