View Single Post
Old 07-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
whitham_wannabe OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 972
The next morning we awoke to gloomy skies and a rattling ride back down to fuel up in Chelan. A rattly ride it may have been, but a glorious one.

Bruce voiced his desire to stop taking pictures and get rolling again.

"What's the hold up, Ropey?"

In Chelan, while filling up, a chap came over to talk to us, and take some pictures of our unlikely travelling group. Turns out he was from the local paper, and before you know it, Bruce is headline news, in an article full of journalistic inaccuracies.

We headed over to the Coulee Dam, as I have passed all around that area but never actually seen the dam itself.

Travelling with the dog in tow was proving to be a very much more relaxed affair than my usual mile crunching trips. The need to let him out and exercise every hour or so provided an opportunity to actually take a look at the places we were riding through. Unfortunately that means a lot more photos, as he is awfully photogenic, in a Winston Churchill sort of way.

Once more voicing his disapproval about something or other …

We took in the view …

… then rode down for a closer look. Sorry, Bruce no dogs on the tour.

From Electric City we continued to head East on gravel backroads. Sunny was out in front, and seeing a rustle in the bushes, slowed down only for a black bear to go scarpering across the road in front of her. Quick thinking and calm reflexes avoided a potentially uncomfortable incident. By the time Bruce and I arrived, Sunny was (wisely) long gone and the bear was stood in the middle of the road watching us approach and slither to a halt. We watched him watching us watching him for a minute … then he shambled off into the bushes again. Unfortunately I didn’t even think for a moment about getting the camera out.

Soon the road started climbing up dusty switchbacks, and the sun was finally with us! Sunny celebrated both.

Eventually we found our way to the delightfully small Gifford – Inchelium ferry.

We saw a perfect campsite down on the water, so decided an early stop was in order … we really were embracing the relaxed, almost vacation like pace to this ride. As we were setting up camp, we heard someone call out “Is that Bruce?!” Quite by chance we had camped next to Bruce’s breeder. It may be a small world, but, damn, it's a pretty one.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce

whitham_wannabe screwed with this post 07-26-2011 at 04:52 PM
whitham_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote