View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #25
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,098
To get back to the missile story. Nobody knows whether the missiles are in fact real or not or maybe the Angola government just bullshits everybody in thinking they are still a force to be reckon with.
I can walk in there at night and take one as a souvenir. Stupid, absolutely bloody stupid. It might be a prank to fool Google earth to pick up on it and scare the USA with their awesome firepower. Whatever the reason I hope for the inhabitants of Namibe those old rusted missiles have been disarmed.

TIME WAS RUNNNG OUT IN ANGOLA, NEEDED TO MOVE ON

Angola provided us with a wonderful time. We will go back in the future. Agusto and I have decided to try and ride from Tombua to Foz du Cunene and back on the small bikes the locals use as transport, might make for an interesting trip. Up north from Namibe it is a riding heaven that needs to be explored.
That plan is for another day in the future. For now it was time to head back to Lubango say good bye to Jose and his family and head back to Namibia.

EERIE GHOST TREE IN A RIVERBED. STRANGE AS IT'S THE ONLY ONE AROUND LOOKING LIKE THIS.

ANOTHER FUNNY TREE GROWING IN THE DESERT NEAR NAMIBE.

On our way back to Lubango we stopped at the Dorsland trekker memorial. You only really understand what this people went through to get there in that time. They had no roads and the terrain is anything but simple. It was not your average sissy paper pusher that can do this kind of trek.
It must have been extremely difficult for these people to have trek up to Angola from South Africa.
I am humbled.

DORSLAND TREKKER MEMORIAL WITH THEIR GRAVES IN THE FOREGROUND.

LUBANGO IS A HUGE BUZZING CITY.

A MUST STOP IN LUBANGO, THE CHRIST STATUE OVERLOOKING LUBANGO

ANGOLAN WAR RUIN

ARCHITECTURE IS MOSTLY PORTUGUESE INFLUENCE AND THEY LOVE USING VIBRANT COLOURS. *

LIVE IS GOOD IN ANGOLA, OVERALL T'S GOING OKAY FOR ANGOLAN'S

We said our farewells in Lubango and head back towards Namibia. Camping spots in Angola is non existent, camping next to the road is the way to go and actually a load better than staying in crappy hotels at 5star prices. We never had problem camping next to the road as long as you stay well away from big settlements.
Eating at shops next to the road is cheap and the food although not gourmet stuff still good and big enough portions to fill even a big hunger.

The best is beers are available everywhere even remote places stock beers. *

THERE'S A DEPOSIT ON BEER BOTTLES AND THE LOCALS DO NOT LIKE US TAKING AWAY THE BOTTLES. BEST OPTION WAS TO EMPTY THEM INTO A BLADDER..........HUGE MISTAKE!

WILLEM, LOCAL ELDER WE CAMPED NEAR HIS HOUSE, OUT OF RESPECT WE ASKED HIM FOR PERMISSION, HE EVEN SPOKE A BIT OF AFRIKAANS.

Last night in Angola and we camped under huge Baobab trees. We had enough beer and whiskey and it end up in a hellova party.

NO STOP WITH ANGOLAN BEERS, NGOLA IS NOT YOUR AVERAGE BEER, YOU DRINK YOURSELF OUT OF YOUR CLOTHES.

Angola was a blast, making new friends, thrills and spills, we had it all. I will forever remember the good memories of this trip into Angola.

For now it was time to head to Zambia..

michnus screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 12:56 PM
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote