View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 07:03 AM   #12115
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Did you come up from Webster or did you come up from Montezuma on Deer Creek (or St Johns)

One of my favorite places to ride in the entire world (and I've ridden more than 500,000 miles)...

I need to get my arse up there soon.

Hey Geek--would of loved to have a riding partner--that area is sketchy by yourself.

Webster is still snowed in, and it looks like it will be for the whole summer. The switchbacks on the front side of Radical Hill are still snowed in too. I came up from Deer Creek. After my detour to Radical Hill, I looped around and followed St. Johns north up the ridge. That is a pretty serious climb. The trail is rain-eroded badly in spots, and the jeeps have turned over some huge rocks. Being alone, there was no option except to make it so I did.

I also rode Peru Creek (side trip to the very top of Pennsylvania Mine was VERY cool), Cinnamon Gulch, Chihuahua Gulch (first creek crossing was too deep to try alone), Boreas Pass (very easy but scenic), and tried Georgia Pass the back way towards Breck, but the trail was washed out and closed just after the Continental Divide on the Breckenridge side. Oh yeah, also did Keystone Gulch ALL the way to the top--the last mile of trail is pretty interesting. I sat at the top and watched a couple four wheel drive pick ups chicken out and turn around as the switchbacks got steeper, rockier, and narrower. Great ride!
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote