View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 07:50 AM   #49
RoyQ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcourdin View Post
Roy If you get the chance I'd love some more detailed pics of the panniers and the mounting system. Are the connections plastic like the BMW system cases or metel?

I've found a couple Teneres within a few hours of me on the showrooms for retail, which isnt a bad price at the moment. I'd be picking one up and selling my GS BUT I have a ride to CO coming up soon and dont want to get in the middle of getting a new bike ready and then not be able to get the panniers or something.
Yes unfortunately the bags are a hard ABS plastic nothing real durable imo. The locks are as crappy as everyone told me they would be. The bags look great however. Not real big. The use of security torx bolts on the rack and on the lock sets really gave me trouble. They are odd sizes and the lock set ones are as soft as butter. If I had to do it over I would have just bit the $$ bullet and bought Tourtech panniers and racks. These are nice don't get me wrong but no where near worth what they are going for. Not sure who makes them for yamaha but if I knew I'd steer clear of their products. The racks are well built steel pieces and hardly noticeable on the bike without bags on. Thats about it if not for the Torx nightmare it would have all went on in about 2 hours as it was I went on my DR650 to buy the required torx only to get a front flat on it and get home to fine out the large torx was not big enough. I managed to improvise from that point on and now I have a front flat to fix on my DR this afternoon. 60 lbs of air in the tire got me home but went flat less than 10 minutes after parking it in the shop, wheeeeew.
WERA Expert #826
RoyQ is offline   Reply With Quote