View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 07:08 AM   #10
Fab418 OP
Pig ridin'

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale Rider View Post
Looking Good Fabrice, question why use a KTM front wheel.
Hi WR, I choose the KTM wheel for multiple reasons:
1- Excel rim
2- 20mm axle, same as the YZ so I get to use the YZ axle and (hopefully) spacers. Everything will just bolt on to the forks.
3- I will be able to use a KTM rotor from a 640 (300mm)or 640adv(320mm) since KTM hubs are all the same. I could not find an easy match in Yamaha's line up.
4- KTM wheels abound on ebay and they are cheap too.

Quote:
Why not use the YZ450 front wheel spacers and axel etc.
Motocross brakes will not slow the pig down! I'll use the axle and spacers (/2 above)

Quote:
What do you intend using the bike for?
Trail, road and travel.

Quote:
This is a discussion we had with Woody on which front rim width to use for different situations.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604474
I have a 100GS front wheel fitted up to one of my 1100 with the standard telelever even that increases the off road performance by about 50%
WR
Nice discussion but, like on your project, they kept the telelever. I want MX forks for a couple of reasons mainly:
-the reduced weight,
-the increase in travel
-strength: I think it will hold better in hard off-road and that the on road compromise will be ok for me. My friend has a 800GS and let me ride it for 2 weeks both to commute and off-road riding. After 1000km of mixed riding, I decided that I could live with a 21" on road no problem.

I hope I answered all your questions!
My HPF: 21 inch-mx forks R11GS conversion
Fab418 is offline   Reply With Quote