View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #66
Trophy1298
Vicarious Cowboy

Oddometer: 5,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
DQ and I worked getting the first oil change done on the KTM. It really wasn't bad at all. We were putting fresh oil in it a couple of hours after we started taking it apart and that was including the time to put everything back together. So, even though it's a pain in the butt to do it, I would say I'm pretty happy it wasn't anymore intense! Thanks DQ!

Now the only problem is how much to put back. The manual says clearly, "approximately", but that amount barely registers on the dipstick. A search of OC reveals that several folks have the same issues. Opinions vary on whether or not to put the "approximate" amount in or fill it up to the dipstick MAX line. I am leaning toward making more oil show up on the dipstick.

Trophy, did you finish your project last night?
Nope. Got busy with something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Judging by how he was posting, I'm pretty sure he made it through the whole fifth.
That's what I got busy with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carabnsol View Post
It never ceases to amaze me that some engineer thought it would be a good idea to make a regular maintenance item so difficult. ...

On the other hand, I changed the oil and filter on my son's KLR the other evening and it took all of about 15 minutes. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!
Engineers were not involved in designing the KLR.