View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #26
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I wonder how towing with a Prius would be?
Prius? F' that! The Prius is a false economy, the premium you pay for the Hybrid and then battery replacements negates any fuel economy savings. The Prius gets great MPG in the city but out on the freeway they're not really much better than a normal compact 4cyl car. TDIs might be rare but those stupid prius are all over the place around here.

Another option you could consider is a Full Size Chevy 1500 2wd W/T with the tallest rear end you can find, run some hard compound tires (the ones rated for max lifetime) at the highest PSI that's safe, maybe lower the truck get an airdam some aero hub caps and maybe one of those goofy High Rise bed caps (so you can but the bikes back there) and you'll probably get over 25mpg on the hwy at 65-70mph (probably going to have to be an older Manual Trans 4.3 V6). Those cars with the trailer set ups are going to be limited to 55 mph here in CA.

I've done the trailer thing, it works but I'd much rather have the bike in a truck or on a hitch carrier. I've trailered probably close to 100,000 miles, and only had 1 flat but it's always in the back of your mind that you're going to get one.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote