View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #113
Grok OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayElDee View Post
tempting... All reference is to a 2004 bmw r1150r.

I am using my homemade 6' manometer w automatic tranny fluid. Very sensitive, but takes a little while to do well and with the heat buildup the vacuum tubes can try to collapse. They can succeed.

I would be interested to hear from people who formerly used a homemade manometer. Is the Harmonizer as sensitive to get right on? Does it make life easier?

This device does not eliminate the need for cable high speed adjustment, does it?

How does one adjust on the road, or do you only get a reading on the road?

Sorry for the noob questions, but with the fluid manometer, obviously you cannot ride with it, and the routine was idle adjustment with BBAS and then high speed adj with the cable adj.

Thanks for any insight.

John
The Harmonizer resolves to 1 millibar. That is roughly equal to 0.4 inch difference on a homemade manometer. I think you will agree that it's very difficult to get the balance closer than that with a liquid manometer. Even if it were possible, you would not be able to tell any difference in the way the motor performed.

The Harmonizer does not eliminate the need for higher-rpm cable adjustments. For your oilhead the routine would remain the same. Adjust the air screws for idle balance and idle speed, then perform a higher RPM balance by cable adjustment.

Although it is possible to obtain readings while under power, I can't recommend using the Harmonizer while underway due to potential safety/liability reasons. But nobody listens to me