View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 AM   #197
SprocketTX
Bull in China Shop

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoc1 View Post
I just put a skid plate on my 2009 xt250 from Ricochet and it fits well. However, I notice a large increase in engine noise as I ride. It is almost as if I am hearing the gears "whining". It could be air flow? has anybody tried anything to reduce the noise? Maybe painting the top of the plate with some sort of car undercoat?

thanks dogdoc
That's pretty common with most bikes and metal skid plates (ie every bike I've had). Plastic and fiber plates do it a little too, but metal is the loudest. Nothing to worry about, you're just reflecting the sound that was going down back up where you hear it. Ride it a bit and you won't notice it...

Undercoat isn't needed and will add to the weight, but I've seen it done (mostly for cosmetic reasons). I've also seen folks put foam between the plate and frame thinking it helps with the noise but IMHO it's better for keeping debris out is all.
SprocketTX is offline   Reply With Quote