Originally Posted by cug
May I ask which dirt roads? There aren't too many that can legally be ridding in the Bay Area or close by that I know of. We've played around Mt. Madonna and took Summit Road one time (it's a private road - so we were looking for a property to buy there ...
). And actually - I'd love to have a property up there, so it isn't even a full excuse ...
You're right, from what I'm learning there are not many dirt roads in the bay area. Everything seems to be private land and has a fence or gate. I did some research online last week and it appears the two main dirt roads in the Carmel - Big Sur area are:
There are some other areas (dirt roads?) too, but I did not have time check them out on this trip. I'm not sure if there are fences or how much is actually dirt roads:
- Palo Colorado road - which has a bunch of other roads that appear to be dirt which fork off
- Forest Route 19S09/Milpitas rd (which also starts off of Nacimiento-Ferguson)
- Cone Peak rd (which also starts off of Nacimiento-Ferguson)
- Forest route 23S02/Plaskett Ridge road (about 20 miles south of the town Big Sur off of Highway 1)
- USF Route 23S14 (about 20 miles south of the town Big Sur off of Highway 1)
- South Coast Ridge Road with a few other roads leading off (about 20 miles south of the town Big Sur off of Highway 1)
I'd like to get back down there again soon, and stay over at least one night so I can take my time exploring the area further...