View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 PM   #8044
KLM 3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Paying for training is a big expense for sure. But as mentioned ... dealers make far more on service than on sales. So having a good shop with certified mechanics means happy customers. This can pay dividends will into the future. Consider it an investment.

Still ... it's a lot to come with for the dealer. Maybe they work these costs into the monthly flooring nut or something? Dunno ? I'm friends with two dealers but I rarely stick my nose into their business. We drink beer and ride mostly! They hate talking shop ... until drunk ... (then the truth comes out!!! )

But Triumph have to hold up their end as well. If a dealer can't get parts or proper info on "fixes" (like with so many BMW dealers) then everybody gets pissed and hard earned Reputations can be shattered.

Lack of parts really held up KTM's growth back in the early 2000's. I guess it's better now ... but I no longer own any KTM's so really can't say. I am currently on the 2nd week waiting for a bolt and spacer for my Tiger 1050.
It's a week over the promised day.
The guy I was talking to mentioned that the cost was in the neighborhood of $10,000 for them to get the training done. That seems awful steep, but I guess with all the travel, lodging and whatever else, it adds up quick.

I got the impression they'd rather just sell more Harleys and Bimmers.