View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 03:24 AM   #8045
Midpack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Colorado ride

Just returned from a seven day trip wandering around some of Colorado's scenic roads, three of which were spent with kids and grand kids. 2173 miles of bliss. The last day, the longest was 773 miles, two thirds of which were back roads thru southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. The Tiger did great. Mileage with the Jesse bags was 51-53 mpg at 60-75mph and down to 48-50 mpg up to 85 mph. The Jesse bags were tested water tight in a downpour between Hitchcock and Carbondale, then again over the pass in Rocky Mountain National Park with a snow flurry (August?) thrown in. The stock seat felt pretty comfy for the first 400 miles or so, then with alternating heights between high, low, and front high/rear low I finished off the 700+ mile day fairly well. I had the stock Battle Wings on, they stuck well in the corners surprising some sport bike riders and good in the rain. They did keep me from trying 110 out of Silverton and another planned route since the local riders deemed more aggressive tire were needed. I have 4960 miles racked up, no stalling issues, but have noticed the front end clunk. I'll tighten up the head bearing when I go to install the heated grip kit. I have a Ducati ST2 and a DR650, the 800XC is the riding position/maneuverability of the DR with the quality/ power of the ST2. I couldn't imagine riding those State and National Parks at 40mph or so in traffic with the ST2.
Attached Images

Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote