View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 AM   #24046
skierd
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,853
If I ever decide to change my current setup, I'll probably get a Beta bag myself. Not sure if mini or the regular size. My only concern with having one big bag vs. smaller pockets for everything is what happens when things get wet and/or stinky...

I've tried a bunch of different setups over the years and I think I'm pretty happy with what I have now. Started with Dirtbagz Scouts (smaller size) alone for a weekend trip, too small.

Then added the Wolfman enduro duffel, strapped my sleeping pad to it, and ran a 2gal rotopax under the left dirtbag for my TAT trip. Too much bulk, too much weight, so I spent a lot of the next year minimizing. Still, it worked great for 6600 miles.

Sold the rack, sold the dirtbagz. Bought a Kriega US20 and wolfman enduro saddle bags (original style) with two MSR fuel bottles. In the right direction, couldn't fit much in the way of clothes and with my tent stuffed inside my tail bag, what to do when it rained?.

So I sold the kriega and decided to make due to the Wolfman Enduro duffel and saddle bags. I added a seatosummit large event compression stuff sack for my clothes. Worked great for 6000+ miles this spring and without the stuff sack was great for overnight trips, but I'm again looking to fiddle.

I'll probably keep the setup I have now (enduro bags) for short overnight or weekend trips, and maybe ideally get a locking hard top box for long adventures. FWIW the enduro saddle bags and tail duffel have a slight edge in capacity on the GL Coyote I think and are less intrusive to the rider imo, plus I like having compartments. And it costs half as much.

It really depends on how and where you travel and how tied to the bike you're going to be. Setting up a base camp is a lot different than traveling every day on unimproved roads or bopping from town to town on back roads for 3 weeks. The longer you stay in civilization the more clothing and ideally more security from hard bags you'll need. The further away from people you get, the more you need stuff that packs light and fast to get back to the action. It sucks walking around a town and eating lunch in a nice diner when you can't see your bike and are worried about your gear constantly. I will say the bike rode and handled the best with just the saddle bags but acts much better in the wind with just a tail bag or small saddle bags like the enduro's. Who knows, I'll probably end up with the happy trails panniers next as I've tried most everything else...

Just one more, because I like remembering it...
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote