View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #63
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 986
8/25/11 (Thursday)
Daily mileage: 197
Overall average: 20 mph

Today, I woke up late 9:15. What can I say, but that I am not a morning person. Missed the continental breakfast... A Powerbar and some coffee will have to do.

Decided to fill up those MSR fuel bottles since the ride is official now. I don't think I will need them on the east coast, but whatever. Better to have, than have not. After that I set off with the first hiccup being my garmin locked up and I ride 3 miles past the first waypoint.

After getting back on track, I hit the first offroad sections about 10 or so miles into the ride hitting pea size gravel. As always, it takes several miles of this stuff to start getting use to sliding around corners, before the speed picks up. It ok to slide on level ground, but when going downhill, definitely need to be wary because no amount of braking is going to slow you down fast around a turn. I could see myself sliding off an enbankment if not careful.

photo P1000065.jpg

photo P1000065.jpg

The whole day really was a mix of on and offroad, with twisty switchback thrown into the mix, on and off. Made it hard to get a rhythm, but nevertheless good riding.

photo P1000065.jpg

In the town of Wartburg, I stop for a lunch consisting of a jalepeno corn dog and a pepperoni hot pocket and a Caramelo bar (the official dessert of Going for Broke: TAT 2011). While lunching, I chat with a Mr. Bo Mcgee, who was riding a Harley Road King parked on the side of the building in sun. He showed me a map he bought that had some good scenic rides, and we have a conversation about the town. He was talking about staying away from the dirt roads cause you could be lost out there and made references to being abducted by shady country folks, and also staying away from cottonmouths if I was camping. Apparently, its been very dry so they come down from the elevations to get to water. Always good talking to the locals.

photo P1000065.jpg

After lunch I take off and the next point of interest is Cliffy Road, and the Creek we've all grown to love through all the TAT threads to date. I stopped down and talked to a man and woman who met on the internet, but the outing wasn't going so well.

photo P1000065.jpg

photo P1000065.jpg

photo P1000065.jpg

photo P1000065.jpg

Click below for video of aforementioned, awesome creek. (warning: I stall out )

After getting myself cooled down, I gear up and hop back on my bike and ride to the Royal Inn in Sparta, TN. I run into a couple of guys, Joe an Bill, who I remember was staying the Jellico hotel as well. They have a week off and so are riding until the end of Arkansas. I may or may not see them since they are early risers and as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, mornings and me don't mix. I have an excuse though as I am slaving away on this report for all you FF on this forum.. Joking, I'm enjoying this.

photo P1000155.jpg

photo P1000155.jpg

photo P1000155.jpg

In Sparta, I go to a Mexican joint and have 3 tacos and rice and beans. Now I need to go to bed.

photo P1000155.jpg

A pretty sunset to end this post.

photo P1000155.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 07:19 AM Reason: forgot to post video
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote