View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
I've ridden the ULY and disliked the way it feels off road but on road it is nice sitting up and feels like a DS bike. I like the different technologies combined in the ULY. Power was fair, both my 950 KTM and more so the Vstrom were easily faster but the ULY felt torque every where. I never succumbed to a ULY but if they had put that newer BUEL water cooled motor in something like it I might have. I now have a Dorsoduro and find it the most fun on road of any bike I have owned (60 +-). I wouldn't recommend it though as stopping for gas every 80-110 miles stinks, even if your pouring what you brought into the 3 gallon tank. Other than that you might really like the 1200 DD but I don't care about the upper end of power so much any more, at least as much as I care about handling. The 1200DD should present you with both. I would think you would really get off on your Scrambler though since it serves the same general utility, albeit with little or no power to spare. I love the look of the Triumph 1050 but after the Vstrom 1000 I don't know if there is any reason to pay more for the same utility. A friend just sold his ULY when his Yamaha Tenere arrived and after riding the Tenere It feels a lot like the Vstrom (somewhat bland) except it has better off road manners and wider handle bars.
Oh yea! the BMW front end? What were they thinking???