View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #66
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,014
8/26/2011 (Friday)
Daily mileage: 320 miles
Overall average: 30.4 mph

(Note: This report might be a couple of days old, I typed this up at the Bear Inn B+B in Clifton, Tennessee.)

Packed up and on the road today at 9:30. My best effort so far. In the morning, the route across the TVA damn was closed, so I took a walk around the gate to take gander and to take pictures. The Tennessee Valley is pretty awesome to behold at certain points along the river. Theres a lot of industry going on there.

photo P1000155.jpg

photo P1000155.jpg

photo P1000155.jpg

A little later on, I ran into a couple of gentlemen on horseback. I stop ahead and take my helmet off, as to not spook them. That was what I understood the procedure to be when approaching horses. Spoke with gentlemen and he didn’t think it was a problem but thanked me for doing that. I asked and he told me the horse was a Tennessee walker. Beautiful creatures, I’d love to own one, one day.

photo P1000155.jpg

Sad to say, but I killed a grouse (or some gamebird) today. Was flying around a corner and 2 birds are hanging out in the middle of the road. They both started running to the left and at the last minute, the one closest in my path takes flight only to bounce off my front headlight numberplate. So sad. Sorry, mr. grouse.

Stopped into Bellbuckle, Tennessee for gas and lunch. Had a corndog and some a dry grill chicken sandwich with a peach and a caramelo. The train passes by a couple of times as I sit on the bench devouring my lunch, and watching the locals go in and out of the store. I didn’t actually go into the main street which was maybe a total of 500 ft long, but it looked like the set of movie – well manicured and ideal for a southern small town.

Off I roll, and pretty much ride for the next 6 hours straight. The whole days was dominated by pavement, so I just kept riding until I hit a nice stretch of gravel which wasn’t until maybe 6:00pm.

photo P1000155.jpg

photo P1000155.jpg

photo P1000155.jpg

photo P1000155.jpg

photo P1000155.jpg

Heres a sweet homemade motocross track. Maybe I should go practice some scrubs.

photo P1000155.jpg

I also passed by an amish section of Tennessee, cant remember the name, but it reminded me of the classic bowling movie, Kingpin... one of my faves. Passed by several cart and buggies.

photo P1000155.jpg

photo P1000155.jpg

Today was one of those days, that I felt I could keep riding as long as there was light in the day. Around that time, I hit the Laurel Hill Wildlife Management Area which is the site of the slick water crossing. It was late in the day and I flying on the gravel, so when I approach the crossing, it didn’t dawn on me at first that this was it. I thought I was rolling over it at maybe 8-10 mph and I must’ve slightly applied throttle because the tail end slid out from under me. Holy… nothing on me was hurt, but trying lift the bike, I couldn’t even get a firm foothold. I had to drag the bike over (which was easy in the lubricated rocks) to a drier area. As I lift my bike up, the sheriff comes from the opposite directio..

Click below for the video documentation:

At this point it was getting dark in the woods, I could begin to see hints of my headlight illuminating the road, but the goggles are tinted so my perception might have been skewed. There was no cell reception to access googlemaps, so I found the closes hotel on the garmin. The Bear Inn B+B. This place is nice. Its located in next to a “pro level world class golf course.” I asked if it was on the masters tour, but Paul, the proprietor replied that there wasn’t enough lodging in the area to accommodate an event of that size. The room is huge and comfy and I think I will sleep well tonight.

photo P1000261.jpg

photo P1000261.jpg

Out front was this bitchin’ classic mustang that was for sale. $20K get you the keys.

photo P1000261.jpg

As I’m unloading my stuff, I speak with a roofing technician, Kieth, who was lodged there for next week or so. His wife, Cherry, was from the Philippines, and their baby child Destin was staying with him for several days since his home wasn’t so far away. He spent a good amount of time in Asia doing missionary work and that is where he met his wife. He hopes to raise his kid, bilingual, and someday wants to move to the Philippines and make a homestead there.

After unpacking I go upstairs to the bar and get my free lunch consisting of a garden salad, corn, mashed potatoes and 2 pieces of roast beef.

photo P1000261.jpg

Paul, the proprietor, makes a great bloody mary. He’s an interesting character who has been around the world. He told me about his motorcycle ride down through Mexico on the way to Nicaragua.

photo P1000261.jpg

Behind me there are 2 guys from Laos playing pool. They are there working at a Landfill site. Not really sure what job they are doing, but its nice to see so much diversity down in the sticks. The owner and workers there are great host. They mentioned that a big group of guys, some of who were Brits, doing the TAT stopped in a couple of weeks earlier.

After scarfing down my food, I leave a generous tip and off to bed I go.

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 07:23 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote