View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #28
michnus OP
Vagabond, yes I try!

Oddometer: 1,095
Namibia Caprivi

Back into Namibia from Angola we headed along the border towards the Caprivi strip. Harold and Linda decided to ride back from Oshakati via Tsumeb and then Rundu. For Elsebie and myself sitting on tar that much after all the stunning dirt roads we have done it was pure torture.

Sun down in the Caprivi after the rainsi

We headed East towards Rundu and would meet up with Harold and Linda near Pupa falls. The diversity in Namibia is mind blowing, there's deserts, grass lands, Damaraland and the Caprivi which offers some off the most beautiful sunsets and abundant wild life you can imagine.

SOME MEAN ASS FLIES ROAMING AROUND THE CAPRIVI

Life is great especially wen it is raining in the Caprivi

Tracks4Africa listed some community camp sites which were all empty. We stayed at one just before entering the Caprivi strip. Cost us about nothing, was safe and had a cold shower and clean toilet. Camping at these places always offers that bit more and is a bit more special to stay over with them. Most of the times you can have a good chat to the locals and sit and enjoy a beer with them. They just love to talk to these funny travelers.

The old Pupa falls campsite is now a run down dump. Luckily next to them other private lodges with really cool campsites have open up and offer cold beers and even a workshop to work on a BMW. Pity these lodges got such difficult names, Tuna Mutambura lodge.

Camping in Namibia the best in the world!

We spend two night there relaxing, and I had to fix the Dakar's steering head bearings for the first time. The lodge owner was really helpful and gave me space behind his workshop and some tools too fix the bearings.
For the rest it's easy to find peace here, sitting on the deck for hours watching the hippo's drift past and see how the sun die slowly over the horizon in a deep red glow.

The last night there we over indulged on the wine a bit, luckily our new destination was only 300km away at Mazambala island lodge. We raced there, it was damn hot and the thought of more beers and relaxation next to a river and a pool was just what was needed.

We had to pack in the luxury camping while we can, from Zambia going up, camping and nice to haves will be a thing of the past.

This is one stunning lodge, you camp next to the river and the lodge is on a island. They use boats to ferry people to and fro. We were lucky it was out of season as we had the campsite to our selves.

Super long water flower thingamajick

This feels the same as the Everglades in Florida

Time was running out for Namibia, Zambia was next.

michnus screwed with this post 07-16-2013 at 12:03 PM
michnus is offline   Reply With Quote