View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
bump OP
COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer: 713
Let's see those open bike trailers

Looking for the best ideas here. So please show what you do and how you do it.

You know the kind. They are not enclosed. The bikes are on rails or in shoes on a platform or bed and so forth. I want to see how you guys mount stuff like gas cans, canopies, gear, ice chests, tool boxes, spares and so forth.

If you trailer your bikes and all your gear for a day or three of riding then that's what I think will be useful. Even you Harbor Freighters!

I'm all

I looked but didn't see this exact thread anywhere.

Here's why I ask. A couple of decades ago I converted my Longrun Standup Jetski trailer to a dirt bike trailer. And I have used it up. The time is past for it to be disassembled, blasted and powerdercoated, reassembled [it has seen some real abuse so I am removing all the dirt bike stuff and using it for jetskis again (750 X-2 and a Superjet)]. That leaves me without a dirt bike trailer for short trips. So I found another standup jetski trailer to convert. Why Standup Jetski trailers? The track is about the same as a car so taking them far offroad is usually easy-especially on deeper jeep trails-handy here in our So Cal deserts when towed behind 4WDs. There is zero demand for them so they are cheap. They are usually stouter and longer than dirt bike trailers for some reason. Zieman is a local steel builder here in So Cal who has made some great HD trailers over the decades. Many, like the one I just bought, are over-engineered from, I assume, left over steel from more HD applications. My original conversion was because I was fresh out of college and I had to make do with what I had: a Honda Civic, a Kawi 750 X-2, a KDX200, my wife's RM80, and a Longrun Standup Jetski trailer. Now I intend to use this Zieman as an inbetween for trips I go on but my wife and kids do not and I will be towing it with my wife's 4Runner. Bigger trips with everyone and all the bikes require the dually. Did I mention the standup jetski trailers are zero-demand cheap?

Currently I am making a list of what I want the trailer to carry and then will add some bracing, bit larger offroad tires/wheels, add some lights, and map out how to arrange it on a aluminum deck I will fab up (err, pay someone else to) and install. Here are some photos of my new trailer or here's what a couple hundred dollars buys. Very little rust, tires good, Bearing Buddies, nice spare in the lock box, and this thing is built 2x as good (much better axle too) as my Longrun and must be 2x as heavy too. Tracks arow straight too. Longish tongue makes for easier offroad and backing.

bump screwed with this post 09-05-2011 at 09:03 PM
bump is offline   Reply With Quote