View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #66
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsobolik View Post
Nice ride! What kind of side cases are those and how did you attach them to the bike?
They're plastic ammo boxes made by Plano. I got them at Cabela's and they're called "field" boxes. I made my own mounting brackets with square tubing and bolted them to the shock mount, signal mount and passenger peg mount. I then bolted the boxes on with some aluminum angles and big rubber spacers with wing nuts so I could get them off easily.
It was a very cheap DIY solution done literally at the last minute before my trip.
All in all I wouldn't recommend these cases as they're pretty flimsy and started to bow out of shape after a while, which meant they wouldn't close correctly and allowed some water in. Maybe with some more bracing they'd be better. For my next trip, I honestly think I'll get some good soft side cases, despite their not being waterproof (they do come with rain covers). That will eliminate the somewhat heavy and convoluted mounting rack.

I would recommend the top case though, which was made by Emgo and only cost like $60. It mounted easily to my original luggage rack. It was water tight, sturdy, and just the right size for my old bike. I'd also recommend the tank bag I had but I forget what model it was. It was made by Rapid Transit and had a map pocket.
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote