View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #87
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 986
9/1/11
Daily mileage: 390 mph
Overall average 39.5 mph

Watching the morning news as I eat my continental breakfast of waffles, the temperature was supposed to hit 104 degrees today.. Better fill up one of my platypus bottles. After feasting, I holeshotted out of the hotel : ) and am on the road at 10:30.

photo P1000511.jpg

photo P1000511.jpg

The midday, high noon riding is a matter of getting comfortable, settling in and making sure I drink plenty of water. The landscape is very open and though the road is pretty much a straightaway, the road sometimes blends in with the landscape which is cool.

photo P1000511.jpg

photo P1000511.jpg

Around noon, the gas light comes on, and so far, I haven’t been concerned… usually just let it hit about 15 miles and then, I punch in the “Find gas services” menu on the Garmin to see where the closest station. Well, the gas station was 23 physical miles away, and I already had 23 miles with the orange gas light… This is going to be interesting. I have 2 liters of backup fuel, so I’m ready.

At the 37.5 mile mark on reserve (151 miles total), the bike starts to stutter going up and down hills. I immediately stop and empty both fuel bottles into the tank. After 20 miles I roll into the gas station. Looks like I’m getting about 50 mpg average.

photo P1000511.jpg

photo P1000511.jpg

At the gas station, got a footlong subway steak sandwich and a caramelo.

After a full belly, hydration, and tank full of gas, I push on. My favorite parts of Oklahoma are the wide open range sections that curve and twist, and are full of cows and other animals. The riding surface of Oklahoma ranges from old ass torn up blacktop to red silty sand to brown silty dirt to light yellow sand. Sometimes, I feel like I just hit the desert and it then it would revert back to what I’m used to.

photo P1000511.jpg

photo P1000511.jpg

I’ve seen TAT reports in Oklahoma where it was wet and the brown silt turns to sticky mud making forward progress almost impossible. I’m thankful, it has been dry, thus far.

At around 5:15 I hit the Liberal, Kansas stop, but its early so I push on. I enjoy riding as the sun goes down mostly because its cooler my self-imposed cutoff time is at 7:45ish.

Had to stop to load up the rest of the OK tracks from my computer and I meet Steve. He stop behind me in his truck and asked me if where I was going and if I needed directions. He noted that theres a bunch of guys always coming by there since it was his neighborhood, and I confirm that most everyone who comes by are TAT riders. He recommended I stop in Black Mesa because it was scenic out there and good for dirtriding.. I'm gonna check the trail and see how close it is.

photo P1000511.jpg

photo P1000511.jpg

photo P1000511.jpg

After pushing for an extra 110 miles, I get to Boise City, OK and check into the Townsman motel. Its not dangerous here, but I ask the motel owner and he says its cool if I push the bike into my room. Good thing, because, I spy that the countersprocket nut is loose. Immediately, I tighten it the best I can and smash the lock nut some more to make sure it doesn’t back out.

photo P1000511.jpg

photo P1000511.jpg

photo P1000511.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 07:46 AM
simonpig is online now   Reply With Quote