View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #5
XC Rider OP
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,640
Alright so here we go. Two years ago I ran the TAT (Trans America Trail) solo, leaving Virginia on a 2005 KLR 650. I made it a little past Denio Junction in Nevada when I broke down. To make a long story short, I abandoned the bike on the trail, had a little 12 mile hike (in motorcycle boots), retrieved the bike with the help of some kind folks from the Department of the Interior, then paid a local miner $100 to haul me and the bike to Winnemucca, NV where I found out I had bent some shift forks in the transmission. I had a brother living out in Carmel, CA at the time so I got a U-Haul truck (the smallest they had was a 17' box truck! ) and went to my brother's place in CA. I then sold the KLR and bought a 2001 Suzuki DRZ400S from a buddy in San Francisco. After getting the bike outfitted, and about a little more than a month since my break down, I returned to Denio Junction, NV and completed the trail. During this trip I kept a ride report here on ADV (you can check it out, the link is in my signature line) and in doing I must have inspired my father to try out dual sport riding because he soon bought a 2003 DRZ400S. Since we've done some DS riding together and last summer we did a 4 day trip out in West Virginia. Since the beginning he'd been talking about possibly doing the TAT some day, and finally around this past Christmas I asked him how serious he was because if he wanted to ride the trail this summer, I had some planning to do. Turns out he was serious so here we are! We're getting a slightly later start than I initially wanted, but maybe this will provide for some cooler weather on the eastern end and some interesting colors as we enter the western states. Like I said, we'll both be riding our Suzukis DRZ400S. We plan on camping as much as possible, getting a hotel/motel room maybe once or twice a week. We plan on taking out time and enjoying ourselves; I'm counting on about 1 month to do the whole trail. We may or may not have some people joining us; I've been contacted by several people so we'll just have to wait and see who shows up! And I'll be doing my best to take a LOT of pictures and updating the RR as often as possible.

Here's a little shot of my dad and I out on Flagpole knob, just west of Harrisonburg, VA on the return from our WV trip last summer.

My Ride Reports.
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote