View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
HH OP
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,447
Anyone who lives on the wet side of the Cascades appreciates camping on the East side and waking up to cool dry air. Such was the case Friday when I awoke. Jammin down the highway with the cool air in my face, and the sun shining across Lake Chelan, I could not bring myself to stop and take any photos until I got to town some 45 minutes away.
Looking North to my next destination Manson, and then from there some 27 miles of dirt road.

I quickly stop for food and fuel, my next stop will be at Foggy Dew tonight, 21 miles away from the nearest store.
I drive around to Manson,, turn north into the hills and make a photo stop at Wapato Lake.

I jump on the dirt road that paralells Lake Chelan.

Jammin down an empty dirt road at 40+ mph on the pegs with the sun at my back and a big dust cloud behind me.

You know this is where you want to be.

Someone's homemade fire pit.

I make it up to the Navarre horse camp, and put the yellow bike into the corral for lunch.

The trailhead is just across the road.

Things get heavy quickly, the growth is in full bloom covering hidden dangers on the edges of the trail. More distracting is the gorgeous scenery on either side.

If you look close at the peak, you can see the switchbacks of Angels Staircase.

I finally make it Deadmans Pass, some 6500' and my own set of switchbacks to deal with. I find it easier to climb these than decend them, so I poke along at a reasonable pace with my fully loaded bike.

Twenty or thirty switchbacks later I arrive in this beautiful valley with wild flowers in full bloom.

I take a few minutes and try and repair some ruts a motorcycle made trying to bypass a creek crossing. I don't know why anyone would disrespect such a beautiful place.

HH screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 02:10 PM
HH is offline   Reply With Quote