View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #209
GoneAgain OP
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrd001 View Post
GA, MAN

can you give me a tip on you packing methods on your (late) 800... i have a KLR 650 and pack so much more than you... where do you put it all tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, clothes, food, tool kit, maps, air compressor, spare tubes, tyre levers, msr cooker and billy etc, etc you seem to have so little on the bike during your travels HOW?...

thanks

Rob

Hi Rob...

gee, i dunno... i dont really think of myself as a 'packin guru'... but hey, more than happy to tell you what 'i' do...

dunno..

i think over time you just work out what works for you and the stuff you have... i tie my tent and therm-a-rest (in a waterproof bag) to the pillion seat/back rack.... that takes care of 2 bulky things... if i take a stool or a jerry can, that goes on there too...

everthing else goes in the panniers..
sleeping bag fits nice standing up at the back of one,
gas canister fits nice inside aluminium cookin/eatin bowl (i dont bring a plate or cup),
minimal clothes fit in the lid of the panniers...
only take the tools i need (i.e check what sockets/spanners/alan keys you need and just bring those few, not the whole set of allan keys..) i keep em in a pencil case laying flat at the bottom of a pannier,
a 2 litre juice bottle (kinda rectangular fits nice in my panniers to, not wastin much space),
i started with bringing a pair of runners, now i just bring a pair of low cut canvas converse all-stars..you can crush the sides/heel down flat...)or just a pair of thongs-depend where im going. runners used to be my bigest space waster due to the heel issue.......
food...keep it simple... i bring a bag of museli and some mcdonalds sugar sachels...and just put water on it...its not as bad as it sounds...and it means i dont have to carry milk.. lunches i generally bring some cans of tuna and a packet of 'vita-weet' biscuits... they are a lot stronger than cracker type biscuits so dont brake up on rough rides too much. but i kinda work out where i'm going so i know how many cans to carry... i dont want to bring any home with me again...if its a long ride, i might just bring say 3 cans, and 2 days in pick up some more somewhere...
Clothes is an interesting one too... roll em not fold em seems to use less space..and keeps em a bit less wrinkled..(kind of ) oh and when you have packed you clothes, take them all out again... and leave half of them behind..you wont need them!
oh and one of those freaky microfibre high tech super absorbent camp towels are weird..but use maybe 1 fifth of the space of a normal towel...

I think the panniers maybe are a bit misleading...there is a fair bit of room in there... although there is never enough... next task was to find a new smaller compressor... the old one was fairly big (kinda the size or a car compressor)

pakin is really just a 3-D jigsaw puzzle....

I think if each ride you sort out one issue from the last ride, your doing well, and each ride then is in some way better than the last...

think i'm rambling...

hope that helps a bit...

GoneAgain screwed with this post 09-07-2011 at 04:11 PM
GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote