View Single Post
Old 09-09-2011, 06:42 AM   #151
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 950
9/6/11 (Tuesday)
Maintenance day

Woke up today at 7:30am started yesterdays ride report and researched room rates for the evening. I found the best rate at the red stone inn and promptly booked it. Moab is a very touristy places so rooms at a good rate can be hard to get.

With that off my list, I call up Moab powersports but they did not have a d606 in stock. Called Mad Bro powersports and they did so I went down and picked it up, threw it over my shoulder and rode back to the sleep inn for the install. The owner of Mad Bro is super nice and the store is spacious. They have a decent amount of tires in stock and I was curious to try a michelin desert or a Kendal trakmaster. Stuck with the 606.*

First I had to get the f outta the room cause 11am was checkout time and I didn't think 30 minutes was enough time for me to comfortably switch out a tire and pack.

And so with all my gear downstairs next to my bike. Beginning at 11am I get to work. Everything was going well with removal and installing the tire.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

Observation: if any of you are potential users of tyreguardian tire sealant, I wouldn't recommend it for you off road riders. There too much moisture from airing up and down of the tire for it to seal. In fact, the rear I changed, the compound looked like a maggot farm, and the front, all the solution was clumped in one section at the rear. Save your money. I think if you never change tire pressures it's fine.

As I begin to fill the inner bladder for the tubliss the compressor blows a fuse. As I am changing out the fuse, I here the tire pop and a rush of air escape. Checked with the gauge and the pressure went from 43 psi before the blown fuse to 3 psi. My worst fear... The tubliss bladder has failed.

At first I wasn't in the mood to remove the tire, and I thought "hey Moab powersports is across the street, why don't I take it over there and let someone else solve my problem. Worse comes to worst I can install a regular tube.

But then I slap myself (not literally) and buckle down. I needed to see for myself where this leak is. I pull the tire and the tubliss system and inpect the inner bladder to find a small hole. It didn't appear to be from a tire iron pinch. It resembled a bicycle tube with the numbers 24 x 1.0, so my wheels started turning a I called up some of the bike shops in town. No one in town had a tube that small with most having 24 x 2.0. A guy from moab cyclery told me that size is for a kids size bike. He said it was easy to patch though and they was great to hear.*

Before exploring that option, I went across the street to Moab powersports and spoke to TJ the owner thinking maybe he had a patch kit. At first he asked what size tube i needed and I thought he meant a regular tube, but then he walked me over to the shelf which sat 5 or 6 boxes with the tubliss logo emblazoned upon. I was in disbelief and overjoyed. In my head, it was like the cubs won the world series.

photo P1000781.jpg

TJ mentioned that they were difficult to get but Tucker rocky started carrying the inner bladders. Knowing that I will carry a spare front and back on these trips. They pack really small. I bought both an 18 and 21 replacement. Go support TJ at Moab powersports. He obviously knows what the riders needs are by carrying such a rare item. TJ you gotta stock more tires though.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

By 3pm, I had a new front tire. That worked out perfectly as the room at the redstone inn wasn't ready until then.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

After finally cleaning up and relocating I went grabbed a late lunch at a Chinese buffet.

photo P1000781.jpg

It was a bit late to be riding the white tim trail at this point so instead went back to the hotel and started an oil change. It's been 2200 miles since the last. It's probably ok, but I had idle time so why not.

photo P1000781.jpg

As I work, Brian, a 4x4 enthusiast asked if everything was ok. We mingle for a bit and it turns out he was a fellow mississippian. He had this really tricked out jeep cherokee. If I had a 4x4 it would look like his.

photo P1000781.jpg

After changing out the oil and returning the spent to o reillys, I call up inmate Newner (Brian). He had reached out at the behest of inmate fotobo, so I go out to the hostel and he, ralph, tom, and jason (sorry if i got any of these names wrong) were hanging out and shoot the shit over a couple of beers. A couple of hours later and I'm back at the lodge crashed out.

A good end to a day full of chores.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:04 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote