View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #190
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,060
9/9/11 (Friday)
Daily mileage 227 miles
Overall average: 24 mph

Go on the road this morning from the Border Inn with both anxiety and excitement. Nevada and Oregon are the two “lets wing it” states.

Border Inn

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg
Breakfast

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

I was able to find the set of tracks that lead into the fields but after awhile the tracks disappear and I was just going in a general direction doing my best to avoid low lying desert foliage. The mornings ride was crazy (for me, anyways, I've never ridden into the wilderness without some sort of tracks leading my way). In Nevada, I'm thinking this will be sort've a norm.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

I approach a fence and take a guess at going right along the gate… I was rewarded with a gate to open to take me into the next field, and a more defined trail.

photo P1000781.jpg

The actual riding was really fun and more so than any of the other states I've passed through. I could really get aggressive through these fields, though I had to be careful because the track would sometimes curve and go down into a steep washout area and aggressively come up again to continue the trail. On more than one occasion, I would g-out these drops really hard.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

As others have noted theres a ton of fences to open and close. It gets old when you’re running behind.

Some scenes along the way

photo P1000781.jpg

Optimus prime

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

Love the fuzzy soft warm color field grass

photo P1000781.jpg

After riding long sections of these open grazing fields sectioned off by fences, the next really great section is the single track up and through the mountain.

photo P1000781.jpg

There were parts where I would be riding on the edge of the knobs since the track was off camber. Afterawhile this turns into a double track going through Sawmill canyon. This sections really interesting cause I felt like I was in Europe. There were interesting rock formations up there. I also saw a wolf (I think) on the side of the trail. The ride down was winding and rocky and lots of fun. The WRR is a fun little adventure bike on this type of trali because you can throw it around and ride it aggressively if packed lightly.

photo P1000781.jpg

The view of the mountain before going up on through the single track

photo P1000781.jpg

Through Sawmill Canyon.. Cool rock formations

photo P1000781.jpg

A wolf, I think, hanging out up there

photo P1000781.jpg
Riding up there

photo P1000781.jpg

Coming down

photo P1000781.jpg

At the bottom, it ends at a highway which leads to a gas and lunch stop in Lund, NV. Ordered a burger and chatted with the employees as I ate my lunch. Little boys and girls would stare when they came into the convenience store. I didn’t mind.

photo P1000781.jpg

After lunch, I had problems picking up the trail, since there was farmland where the trail use to be. I did see a hawk and spent the next 10 minutes just watching and photographing the best I could. Birds of prey are kewl.

The mountain range and Lund, NV below

photo P1000781.jpg

Birds of prey are kewl

photo P1000781.jpg

Continuing on the trail, the riding was winding up and down hills. Overall, I’m really liking Nevada for its diversity. The whole day has been pretty interesting the different terrain I’ve been hitting.

photo P1000781.jpg

Flying around the curves and hills, the bike started feeling weird. I wasn’t sure if the gravel had changed, but the rear felt spongy and squirmy--never had that sensation before.

I stopped looked down and saw the my rear was flat. Hmmm. This is my first flat tire ever. I reached down and felt the tire was super hot, because I was riding on it for close to 10 minutes on flat before stopping. Made sure the tubliss was still holding air and confirmed it with a 95psi. I then inflated the main tire with my trusty compressor and listened for the hiss, which I found. It was a small hole probably cause by a sharp rock on the trail. Pull out my slime tire plug kit and fix it. That’s what I love about tubliss. Inflate the tire and no more hiss. Easy peesy, though I burned about 25 minutes diagnosing and repairing the flat.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

It was about 6:00 and I still had about 40 miles to go. I would loose the trail a couple of times which would lose me more time and at 7:15, the gps screen goes into sundown mode and at that point, I start picking up my speed. At this point the winding trail is now fast sweeping open gravel through farmlands and more fences.

photo P1000781.jpg
At some point there is a turn on the gps that I am just not seeing, so I decide to head on the same big road onto the main highway. Instead of finishing out the remaining 13 miles of trail in the dark, I turn onto the freeway and head to Eureka. As I'm flying down this road at dusk, there are certain birds that like to hang out standing on the road and then fly off when you're riding by... I can't be sure but I might've run over one of them. Whats up with that.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

Heading into town, it turns out the whole place is booked. I ask the Best Western Hotel clerk if there is anyplace I can pitch a tent and she tells me the public park allows it. So that’s where I lay my head. Not ideal, but it wasn’t bad. There was clean bathroom on the premises and the grass was thick and green.

Not ideal, but it’ll have to do.

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 09:17 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote