View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #192
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,063
9/10/11 (Saturday)
From Eureka to Battle Mountain

Today to was a short day. After reviewing the maps, there really isn’t any hotels after Eureka until Denio Junction. OK by me, since I wouldn’t mind enjoying my evening in a hotel. I love camping but only when its ideal and not an necessity. Last night was a necessity.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

Got up and out of the park, at around 8:30 and proceeded to have the trail closed due to mining, I tried several close reroutes, but all roads led to a fence. I found a southern way around which took me back on trail. Looking back I could see the mining operation that shut the trail down.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

After rerouting I could see the big mining operation that closed down the trail leading out of town.

photo P1000781.jpg

Just like that as soon as I found it I lost it again after going through a field and up into the hills into some double track. I had to blaze my own trail through small brushes going up and then down the hill. It wasn’t pretty, but I made it. A eventually saw the trail I was suppose to take which came down the hill next to a powerline. Oh well, there are many ways to skin a cat.

photo P1000781.jpg

After getting down from the hill, the trail opened up a bit and there was a great expanse separating me and a low mountain range in the distance. The roads leading to those mountain were winding and I slid out and lowsided going into corner too hot. It wasn’t bad and the landing was actually pretty cushy.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

After reaching those hill and lifting a gate or two, the trail takes me back down to the desert.

photo P1000781.jpg

There was point where I lose the trail again and just ride into the desert in a general direction and pickup the trail after awhile. The trails here are what one inmate called “SLR” or shitty little roads – I think these are the ones. Its about 1:30 and I’m making good time to Battle Mountain. I’m thinking I’ll check in early and have a lot of time to catch up on my post.

Nope… didn’t happen. I was going at a decent clip through this hot dry desert on this shitty little road and all of a sudden, I see mud! WTF… I slow up to and hit it at around 30, and the rear just slides out.

photo P1000781.jpg

photo P1000781.jpg

Next thing I know, I’m on my right side. My right boot is trapped under my bike and my I try to right my self, but the leg is in a position where that is just not possible. The only comfortable position is on my side. The mud is just sticky an gooey and immediately, my right glove is stuck in the mud. I’m struggling for a bit try to get out and start to freak out for a bit. I pull up the handlebars and that eases some pressure of the leg, but I just am not in the position to have leverage to lift. I immediate stay in crawl position and start to pull my leg from under the bike. I can feel my feet sliding through the boot and it hurts for a little bit as my ankles slide out of the buckled boot, but as soon as I am free, a sigh of relief comes over me.

Click for video documentation

Immediately, I get up take some pictures and then pick the bike up. Looking ahead, I can see that the mud continues for the next 100 to 200 feet. I can see the source of the water… It is a water purification station that is next to the puddle. Someone needs to report a leak. I feel like the swamp thing now. Mud is all over me and I’m annoyed but happy to have made it without bodily harm.

photo P1010110.jpg

To the left I can see a gravel access road and with no hesitation, ride it. Looking at my GPS, I can see it runs parallel to the shitty little road. Looks like this plant was newly built, but not sure. The road takes me out to the main highway and I ride into Battle Mountain, and look for a car wash. Found one and spent the next 2 hours hosing everything off. The clay mud is very tenacious and sticks to everything.

photo P1010110.jpg

After rinsing off, my outlook is greatly improve and I finally look presentable enough to walk into a hotel and check myself in.

photo P1010110.jpg

A short day, but what a trying day.

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 09:20 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote