Oddometer: 985
9/12/11
Overall mileage: 173
Overall average: 19 mph

Nevada giveth, and Nevada taketh.

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

Got up this morning feeling good and the weather was better. Hit the trail at about 10:30 and set out the day not sure where I would end up really. I hadn't check the maps but it didn't matter to me. I was enjoying Nevada and wasn't in the hurry to leave it.

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

Some of the land was sold I guess, but there were reroutes available.

photo P1010500.jpg

The trail was similar to yesterday as it wound through hills and hilltops. 34 miles into my ride I hear a weird squishing sound as I roll to a halt for my beef jerky rest stop. Looked down and saw that my front tire was flat. Got out my gauge and compressor and confirmed the tubliss took a dump. There's something I must've missed when installing the bladder that is abrading the inside. The tubliss rim tape was still intact so it wasnt the spoke nipples. I think it was caused by the sharp cut edge of the the tubliss branded rim tape. It was a little bunched up around there. Noticed it running my hands over it, but it didn't seem like it could do harm. Oh well, live and learn. (update: it was a manufacturing defect)

photo P1010500.jpg

Also, the right fork seal is weeping. I believe this happened after yesterday's gettoff in the the tenacious clay mud. Once it dries and the fork compresses, your seal is burnt toast. I wonder if seal savers could prevent that from happening.

I was definitely worried. I was 35 miles from Denio junction and I was forewarned about a super rocky long hill climb not too far away.

Hopped back on and kept the speed at around 20-25 mph. The front was behaving ok when straight up but in leans, there was a tendency to wash out especially in hard pack. Sand traction was obviously awesome. As I puttered along, visions of the show Cops ran through my mind. The ones where criminals are outrunning the highway patrol on flat tires only to have the tire shred off the rim and delight viewers with a shower of sparks from the metal grinding against pavement. The thought of a bare aluminum rim hitting rocks was horrifying.

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

Eventually, I did make it to the hill climb and it was steep (not crazy steep) but was very long.

After clearing that the rest of the ride was just managing the wipeouts. Happened once when my front washed out into a deep crevice, but otherwise slow going to Denio.

photo P1010500.jpg

Someone left their dry animal skin behind

photo P1010500.jpg

Got to denio junction at around 4:30 and ordered a beer and a burger. All the rooms were booked, but the owner said I could pitch a tent near the pumps.

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

My version of a TAT classic

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

As I was contemplating my next move, a guy getting gas, Brendan, from chicago was asking about my trip and wishing he could do more to help. After going in to pay for his gas, he came out and handed me two free drink tokens. Super cool. Made my day. Had my 2 beers with a burger and afterwards decided to get on the road to winnemucca and the yamaha dealership.

photo P1010500.jpg

It was a sensible move as I really didn't want to pitch a tent next to a gas pump and nothing was really being accomplished by me staying the night.

On the road to Winnamucca

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

After cruising at a constant 45 mph I made it to winnamucca just before night fell. The distant city lights of Winnamucca was a very soothing sight indeed. Checked into the economy inn on the main drag a couple of blocks down from Sonoma cycles and promptly crashed.

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

photo P1010500.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:31 AM
simonpig is online now   Reply With Quote