View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 10:18 PM   #234
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,014
9/14/11 (Wednesday)
Daily mileage: 151 miles
Overall average: 22 mph

Today was a lazy day. I had pushed really hard yesterday getting out of Nevada in the dark of night that and ended up staying in Alturas, which was neither here nor there. It was too close to Lakeview, Oregon, but too far away from Crescent Lake, which was the next sensible stop as mapped out by Sam when conceiving the TAT trail.

Hotel in Alturas

photo P1010654.jpg

It didn’t matter to me really, as I’m am subconsciously transitioning from the TAT to road trip mode. For the last couple of days, I’ve begun to realize that this is all ending soon in a matter of days, so I should not take anything for granted. The forest road in Oregon seem are many and windy, but so far are very manicured. There are roads on that map that just aren’t there or have been decimated by deforestation, or mining that they are more suitable for a single track trailride than a cross country adventure ride.

photo P1010654.jpg

Getting up this morning, I took my sweet time and left at around 11:00. I really wanted to take the backtrack on the route I took last night to see what it looked like during the day. On the way, I missed the original easy way from Alturas to Cedarville and instead too the mountain road way, which contained a myriad of reroutes due to the aforementioned deforestion. Granted this is northern Cali, but its close enough, I get the feeling Oregon will be similar.

Lake City Flour Mill

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

At around 1:30 I make it to Cedarville, and the town feels different, but mostly due to the fact that road construction was taking place right on the main drag. Would be nice to experience it otherwise, but regardless, I take a leisurely lunch at the Country Hearth café. I got the Taco Salad special.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

Inhaling that, I ride north to Fort Bidwell to catch the TAT. On the way, that sexy body of water I saw last night was just as big, but NOT sexy. The moonlight goggles had created an apparition that wasn’t there. Last night, I had visions of bungalows down by the lake… Lakewood, a resort town with young northern California lovers water skiing by day, and drinking exotic drinks in the evening with the moonlit lake as a backdrop -- I might've imagined I was on the Pacific Coast Highway under those circumstances. Think Madmen. The real story is the road hugged vast farmlands and the body of water... relatively shallow I think, muddy and pedestrian – fit for raising livestock.

That body of water to my right as I head north

photo P1010654.jpg

The mountain range is to my left

photo P1010654.jpg

A cool church on the way up

photo P1010654.jpg

As I catch back up to the trail at Ft. Bidwell, the road winds me up the mountain, and the roads are wide and covered in gravel. Going from California into Oregon was a nonevent… no sign welcoming you or anything, just a cow grating. As surmised from my earlier experience getting to Cedarville, the mountain roads are similar.

Going up again

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

It is a bit strange as during the light yesterday, I was riding in a land full of low lying sagebrush, and a day later, horizons lined with tall old pines. I was happy to see a change, and I think the riding here on out should be less challenging. Its kinda nice actually because it’s like the cool down stage of a workout. Because I’m assuming the riding is more straightforward, I can focus on things like stopping by Crater Lake and checking out natural hot springs with hopes of taking a dip.

Abandoned shaft

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

A nice big tall tree to admire after days without...

photo P1010654.jpg

Somehow, old school looking trucks like these and the Pacific Northwest go hand in hand

photo P1010654.jpg

At around 4:30 I descend the mountain straight into the town of Lakeview, Oregon. The town itself is really nice and I see they are proud of the fact that they were finalist for All American City in 1988… a great year. Its emblazoned on their water tower next to an American flag.

Lakeview lodge is very nice, and nice people run it. I highly recommend.

photo P1010654.jpg

Since I was in exploring mode, I did some research into some hot springs and found that Hunter Spring was located not too far away, there was a note it was in danger of closing because of the city and a mining corporation. Regardless, I decide to take a ride and explore, and was met with a gate and no trespassing sign as I get closer. Oh well, it was sunset and a ride is always welcome, especially without luggage.

A picture to remind myself I was actually there

photo P1010654.jpg

The sun hitting the land makes it all look very painterly

photo P1010654.jpg

Love the sunsets on the west

photo P1010654.jpg

Love the sunsets on the west, part II

photo P1010654.jpg

Exploring town

photo P1010654.jpg

After getting back, I went over to Jerry’s Diner in town for a rib dinner, and back to the hotel where I am now using the Lakeview Lodge’s computer to process images and type this report.

Good night.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:38 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote