View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #257
simonpig OP
Packin' Heat

Oddometer: 861
9/15/11 (Thursday)
Daily mileage: 225 miles
Overall average: 25 mph

Getting out later this morning from the lakeview lodge I noticed my rear tire was leaking air slowly so I filled it back up. Should last me the day.

The riding through was the national forest today was somewhat lackluster compared to the adventurous trails in Nevada. Not complaining, but just sayin'.

photo P1010654.jpg

I did manage to barrel full speed through a barb wire fence. I was going downhill off the mountain road back into the main gravel road and at the last minute noticed it too late. The bike tore through the fence and I ended up going over the bars. Got up and composed myself. There was no damage to the bike.

photo P1010654.jpg

The TAT is defarkling my bike. To date I've lost my zeta heel guard, a rear zeta disk guard and both my handguards. Lost the left one on this spill.

An interesting views along the way

photo P1010654.jpg

The next section of interest was through a valley of dead trees. Getting up to that point required me to reroute several times due to downed trees or purchased land. My policy in Oregon is the path of least resistance. There's a ton of roads here so why not go around.

There was interesting powerline road section that at some points were super rocky. At certain points I would stop to take pictures and literally hear them sizzling above me.

photo P1010654.jpg

In a valley of dead trees, I got stuck on a couple of logs and had to lift the bike over. My rear tire had also gone completely flat at this point so I wasn't getting the grip and clearance needed to hop over them.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

After following some previous tracks I navigated through the section and exit through a gate that led me to the in forest road.

Got out the compressor and inflated the tire and found a small hole which i quickly plugged up. A gentlemen in a small pickup stop to ask if i needed anything as the repair was taking place. I said no but thanked him for stopping.

photo P1010654.jpg

During the last couple of hours leading up to that valley, the sky had become overcast and the temperature had dropped noticeably.

The ride from here to silver lake was chilly. When i arrived there I got gas and ate at the plum creek deli. It was an interesting little establishment ran out of a parked and converted rv with a gas grill out front and a big teepee. There was also a Norwegian and us flag flying out front.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

I ordered a bacon cheeseburger and fries and a big eight grade kid name Patrick prepared it. He said they get slot af advers coming around but I was rare in being a solo rider. That was the second time I heard that. We talked about hay, the big group of British adv riders that stopped by earlier in the season, guns, his want of his own motorcycle, and firefighting.

photo P1010654.jpg

After my delicious burger which helped warm me up, I put on my fleece pullover under my jacket, hopped on with the intention of riding another 60 miles to crescent lake.

photo P1010654.jpg

Unfortunately, I had grossly miscalculated my rate of progress and ran into several reroutes due to purchased land. It was 6:05 when I started and at 6:45 I finally made it to the entrance of the Fremont national forest. After going about a mile into the entrance, I decided to turn around and get on the main highway to crescent. It was freezing out and all I could think of was a nice warm room.

photo P1010654.jpg

photo P1010654.jpg

getting darker

photo P1010654.jpg

darker still

photo P1010654.jpg

even darker

photo P1010654.jpg

dusk

photo P1010654.jpg

After finally arriving at crescent lake, I calculated I had missed about 50 miles of trail. I was bummed as I should've just stayed in silverlake for the evening, but I already made reservations in crescent lake a day earlier. Someone tell me, Did I miss alot of good trail from silverlake to crescent? If it was anything like what I rode earlier today, I don't think I missed much.

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:42 AM
simonpig is offline   Reply With Quote