View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #260
simonpig OP
packin' heat

Oddometer: 1,001
9/17

Awoke this morning and started on the last couple of days reports on the iphone. Live reporting really takes consideration and time. Everyday I’ve been trying to write the first thing in the morning and its really taken up the last minute of checkout at 11. Its not different this morning.

After getting all my crap together, I go down to lash it all down. On the way out, I notice a really nice old school hot rod with a ford emblem and exposed engine block. The owner, Bill, approached me and asked me about my trip. He’s maybe in his late 60s or early 70s. He asks about my trip and makes recommendations for road to take while on my way back east. He and his wife Lynda, who is smoking a Marlboro red, seem to be an adventurous couple. He use to ride dirtbikes and was telling me about Death Valley and that I should take the Sonora Pass back. We walk over to his hot rod he built up from parts either meticulously gathered from swap meets or hand built himself. It’s a beautiful machine with a nice low grunt. He remarks that it’s the smallest v8 made. Don’t know much more than that, but I do know something special when I see it. After a thorough going over of the map, we say our goodbyes and they roar off in the V8, after detaching the small trailer from it.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

After heading south for 11 miles to Prospect from Union Creek to get gas, I head back up 35 miles to pick up the trail I left off yesterday (around mile 285). It’s funny, but its easier to run out of gas in Oregon than in any other state. That’s what it seems like anyway. The gas stations are few and far between especially once you get in the national forest.

The trail today took me up through some mountain passes and back down and then back up again. There are some mountain roads that have been closed so I had to reroute the long way around the mountain.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Visiting the worlds tallest sugar pine

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

Around mile marker 365, I start to realize that I don’t have enough gas to make it to the 426 mile point so I reroute to a bigger road and finish the day in Canyonland. I have been missing a lot of the trail here in Oregon, but for some reason, I don’t really feel like I’m missing anything. Maybe it’s that I’m starting to get lazy, or the TAT is taking its toll on me, but drifting along seems fine to me. For sure, tomorrow will be the last day as I make it to Port Orford and thus, my TAT trip will end, and the trip back begins.

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

photo P1010570.jpg

simonpig screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 08:50 AM
simonpig is online now   Reply With Quote