CAVEboy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Pro Builders please weigh in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsa View Post
I am waiting to see how you do this.

Don in Kalifornia
These are some interesting challenges. I am going to have a hard time accomplishing all of them, but will see what I can come up with. I'm a little worried about the motorcycle's frame strength and attaching the diagonal support to the rear of the bike as suggested (bikes tail sub-frame). I have a couple attachment points where I have the cargo tail rack, but the frame there is small diameter and wouldn't seem to take much of a lateral load. I could be wrong. I'll see what I can come up with.

I would like to keep the ground clearance decent so will also look into side car frame height in comparison with the bike's frame clearance.

I found some info from another DR650 car that I believe had DMC mounts and the guy was breaking that oil cooler bolt. The DMC mount is a little different than my contraption, but I am still concerned about that mounting point. I will have to see if there is a decent way to strengthen that mount without it being "hack". I'm sure it would be fine with normal road vibration and stress, but logging roads and washboard vibration may take its toll.

Thanks for the help and yes happy to not be an "obscure sticky". Please keep the comments coming. I know some of you fabricators and sidecar builders have things to say. I may have to take a day and work on the car body for something a little different until I've gotten enough feedback to feel comfortable moving forward with the frame attachment/design.
CAVEboy is offline   Reply With Quote