Thread: Goldwings
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #86
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChris99 View Post
For general stuff, they are both about the same. Oil changes are easy, you can get a wrench that slides over the oil filter, so on the 1500 you dont have to remove the bottom cowel, even though the book says to. Getting to the battery is easy too. Pop off a side cover and there it is. Air filter on the 1500 is a major PITA, but doable, just takes time. The problem is that older plastic gets very brittle, and you have to be very careful when you take it off and put it back on. I broke a nipple on a side cover and had to have it plastic welded. Still, they are both coverd in plastic, so it takes some time and patience to work on a Wing. Totally different mindset than say working on my KLR or a Sportster for example. The good news is that they don't need " major " work very often. Another good thing is that if you need to know how to do something, someone somewhere has done it already and there is a wealth of information out there.
just FYI, on the 1200, the OEM crankshaft oil seal under the timing belt cover is discontinued. My friend made me a 59mm OD 55MM ID sleeve to put in, and we got a 55mm OD oil seal from one of his vendors to change it out because it started leaking.

If anyone else runs into this problem, Let me know, i'll get a sleeve made for you and mail it out.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote