They have announced the subscription pricing for the inreach:
$10/mo - no tracking, includes 10 msgs/mo, $1.50 per msg after
$25/mo - unlimited tracking, incl 40 msgs/mo, $0.50 per msg after
$50/mo - unlimited tracking, incl 120 msgs/mo, $0.25 per msg after
You can move to a cheaper plan for $25 or move up for free.
Messages are both send AND received!
- crappy Globalstar network
- send only
- no text messages
- no message sent confirmation
- $100 unit cost
- $100/yr for basic service - no tracking
- $150/yr for basic plus tracking
- High availablity Iridium network
- two way text messaging
- message sent confirmation
- $250 unit cost
- $120/yr for basic service - no tracking, 10 text msgs/month
- $300/yr for tracking and 40 msgs/month
In summary, to have reliable tracking you have to pay upfront an extra $150, and then $150/yr for inreach.
My wife wants the INREACH - I concur.