View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #22
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 877
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
I'll check out OSMand, but right now I'm liking OruxMaps. On my last trip I loaded the USFS georeferenced JPEGS (using OruxMaps' desktop software), created waypoints and routes in Google Maps and then loaded the KMLs into OruxMaps. The App has a function to select areas on the phone to download and store online maps for offline use, and... it does just about everything I've needed. Is it one of those you tried?

My problem has been overheating - both in the AquaBox on the bike and the Otterbox 1900 on the boat my Motorola Droid X has overheated - presumably due to lack of ventilation since the phone has never done it when not in one of these waterproof cases. I found out the phone has a cool-down mode, protection so your battery does not explode - so kudos to Motorola.
I know I tried OruxMaps a couple of months back. There was something I didn't like about it, maybe the overly complex menus, but I didn't care for it. If it directly handles KMLs, I may look again. OSMand uses GPX files. I also like the OSMand vector maps of many states that fit on the phone easily.

Have you tried a simple RAM universal finger grip. that is what I use, and the phone does not overheat. I tried an AquaBox and the phone would shut down it a very short time. Of course it is not waterproof in the finger grip, but I have had good luck with it.