View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #119
ChrisK7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4 View Post
Sensible riding on a KTM????? Your a better man than I....
How do you think it compares to the Multistrada 1200?[/QUOTE]

If your asking me about the differences in the KTM and the Multistrada, I've only had a couple test rides on the SMT at the KTM rally in Lake Tahoe the other weekend.
I was very impressed with KTM's fuel injection. It was super smooth to me without any hiccups typical of fuel injection systems. I thought it was better than the Ducati in that dept. The bike handled very well and was a hoot to ride. I thought it could use a little more HP but it was at around 6000+ ft altitude too. I didn't get any long time in the seat and it had the touring windscreen on it. The ergos felt good like the Multistrada 1200s that I own now.
All in all I really couldn't complain about any aspect of the SMT. I would love to have one and will probably own one some day.
Right now I have the 1200s Ducati and I'm very happy with it. It is an expensive bike but it truly is like 4 bikes in one with the different suspension and power modes. It is nice to be able to push a button and have a good handling and riding bike on every type of road there is out there.
I just got home from a 2450 mile trip to the Black Hills in SD. I very much enjoyed the bike on the trip. The Multi does have a lot of electronics going on though. I've had a few little annoying electrical problems with it and the only Ducati dealers are 200 miles away from me so that is a pain in the ass. Lucky they have not stranded me. The grip heat quit on me and once in a while I get an error message about the suspension system. Everything seems to work OK I just get random error messages once in a while.
The Duc wins hands down in the power delivery dept. Handling I would say the Duc wins there too, but it should with the high dollar suspension it has.
I thought the KTM had very good suspension too just not quite as good as the Duc.
I am able to ride well over 650 miles a day on the Duc and not have any pain at all. I'm pretty sure I could do the same on the KTM.
Both bikes seem to have pretty good side bag systems that I can live with and they had the hard case system on the SMT at the rally. I thought it was a great system and liked it better than my Duc.
Finally, I would probably feel a little better about taking the KTM on the dirt roads than the Duc, mainly because of the cost of the Duc. I do ride once in a while on the dirt with the Duc and it handles it very well but I have the Adventure 950 for that stuff.