View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #47
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
You could try to live with routes instead of tracks when you can't get tracks. I would certainly think your software can create routes.

I tried to use routes for navigation for almost 10 years and finally gave up. Every time I tried, something would go wrong. A big problem is that the GPS unit will not neceessarily choose the same route that you see on the computer. As a minimum you have to ensure that the routing options on the unit are the same as on the computer. These are things like not avoiding dirt roads, shortest distance/time, etc.

I use lots of waypoints. I make hard waypoints so they always show as opposed to the via points created by the Mapsource routing tool. But on my 60 there is a limit of 50 waypoints per route.

I also dislike some routing features like auto-zooming, auto-recalculation, etc. I have recently learned that you can turn these off.

I believe I am in a minority, but I always use track north. It is confusing when you are heading mainly south, but I don't like the display rotating whenever I go into a turn. It is too hard to reorient myself.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote